Today (08.01.2014) the Baton Relay sails into Shrimp River or Rio dos Camarões as named by the Portuguese.
After the First World War, Cameroon ceased to be German colony and became a a League of Nations mandate territory administered by France and the UK. However, it wasn’t until after the Second World War that the first Cameroonian student came to the University of Glasgow in 1946.
We have mentioned Alexander Baba Gwan-Nulla in a previous post as he was the first Cameroonian student of Glasgow, graduating MBChB in 1952, who returned to Cameroon as a Chief Medical Officer in the Medical Division of the Cameroon Development Corporation, in Bota, Victoria, modern day Limbe.
The University next welcomed Cameroonian students around the time of independence for the whole country in 1961. These students came to study Veterinary Medicine, returning to Cameroon and pioneering animal welfare and resource activities, and achieving success in eradication campaigns against diseases such as rinderpest (or contagious bovine typhus) among livestock in Africa. Coincidentally it was a “profound disagreement” over the best way to tackle the rinderpest that raged through Europe in the 19th century that led James McCall, a lecturer at the Edinburgh Vet College, to establish the Glasgow Veterinary College (now the University’s School of Veterinary Medicine) in 1862.